501c3 not-for-profit organization
“To inspire and empower students qualifying for need-based scholarships to become future community leaders through a rigorous middle school program coupled with ongoing graduate support.”
To be the premier Tampa urban middle school which prepares hundreds of economically disadvantaged students to achieve academic success and become community leaders.
Academy Prep Students
- must be eligible for the free or reduced-price federal school meals program, setting their income near or below the poverty line.
- attend school up to 11 hours a day, 6 days a week, nearly year round in small classes of no more than 17 boys or 17 girls, with most classes taught by gender.
- receive a full range of academics, including advanced level English, literature, mathematics, science, social studies, writing, art, drama, library skills, and computer lab.
- participate each day in afternoon enrichment programs including classes and programs in dance, various sports, Boy Scouts, career development, social skills, leadership skills, and community service. Academy Prep debuted its Centers of Excellence in the 2012-13 school year in the areas of Chess, Music and Art, featuring two performing arts showcases, an inaugural student art gallery, choir performances around the community, and a chess team that placed first in the region and sixth in the state!
- participate in a mandatory study hall Monday through Thursday from 5:00 – 6:05 pm.
- take part in required Saturday field trips, community service activities, and an 11th month program in June.
- are served by a variety of corporate and non-profit community partners and individuals with over 9,000 hours of volunteer time – a third of that service completed by our families.
- are closely supported by our Graduate Support Services staff, helping each graduate and his/her family through the opportunities and challenges of high school and college.